Re: WG Consensus: Abandon Operation

Kurt

I support your conclusions so far, but dont think they go far enough for
the following reason

    -  it would be foolish to issue an RFC when it is currently unclear
whether Abandon can or cannot be used on an update operation.

I therefore think that further clarification text is needed in addition
to what you have already proposed, so as to remove any ambiguity over
the use of Abandon on updates. It seems like we have three choices

i) To state explicitly that Abandon cannot be used against update
operations, as per the X.500 protocols. We may need to state what
happens if this is attempted (e.g. protocol error or similar)

ii) To state explicitly that Abandon can be used against update
operations, and to state what the outcomes are in all conceivable cases
(new text will be needed here as X.500 wont give you any help)

iii) To state that this document gives no guidance as to the use of
Abandon with update operations, and it is a local implementation matter
how they are handled.

regards

David

"Kurt D. Zeilenga" wrote:

> The message summarizes the WG discussions of Abandon
> operations.
>
> There is no evidence that any implementation returns or
> expects the return of a response for an abandoned operation.
> The fact that no specific result code indicating abandonment
> was defined in the LDAP technical specification is a clear
> indication that no response was to be returned in the case
> of abandonment.
>
> While some are concerned that design of Abandon operation is
> flawed (as it doesn't provide a clear indication of
> abandonment), redesign of the Abandon operation is beyond
> our scope of work.  This work has been undertaken on an
> individual basis (see draft-zeilenga-ldap-cancel).
>
> The chairs believe there is consensus that the
> Abandon operation and message ID reuse (in regards to the
> Abandon operation) sections should be clarified to clearly
> indicate:
>         * Servers are not required to honor the Abandon
>           request;
>         * The Abandon operation has no response;
>         * The abandoned operation has no response; and
>         * Message ids of the Abandon operation and the
>           abandoned operation cannot be reused unless
>           a subsequent bind operation completes.
>
> The Editor is directed to produce a revision containing
> clarifications consistent with this consensus.  The WG
> should review the clarifications once offered to ensure
> that they do reflect this consensus.
>
> The chairs draw no conclusion as to the applicability of
> the Abandon operation to abandon update operations.  The
> chairs suggest that those who believe that some statement
> should be added to the technical specification regarding
> use of the Abandon operation to abandon update operations
> should offer a specific proposal for WG review.
>
> -- Kurt & Bob

David W. Chadwick, BSc PhD
IS Institute, University of Salford, Salford M5 4WT
Tel: +44 161 295 5351  Fax +44 01484 532930
Mobile: +44 77 96 44 7184
Email: D.W.Chadwick@salford.ac.uk
Home Page:  http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/chadwick.htm
Research Projects: http://sec.isi.salford.ac.uk
Understanding X.500:  http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/X500.htm
X.500/LDAP Seminars: http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/seminars.htm
PGP Key ID is 0xBC238DE5

begin:vcard
n:Chadwick;David
tel;cell:+44 77 96 44 7184
tel;fax:+44 1484 532930
tel;home:+44 1484 352238
tel;work:+44 161 295 5351
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/chadwick.htm
org:University of Salford;IS Institute
version:2.1
email;internet:d.w.chadwick@salford.ac.uk
title:Professor of Information Security
adr;quoted-printable:;;The Crescent=0D=0A;Salford;Greater Manchester;M5 4WT;England
note;quoted-printable:Research Projects: http://sec.isi.salford.ac.uk.......................=0D=0A=0D=0AUnderstanding X.500:  http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/X500.htm .......................=0D=0A=0D=0AX.500/LDAP Seminars: http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/seminars.htm...................=0D=0A=0D=0AEntrust key validation string: CJ94-LKWD-BSXB ...........=0D=0A=0D=0APGP Key ID is 0xBC238DE5
x-mozilla-cpt:;-4856
fn:David Chadwick
end:vcard