StartTLS and referral

As anyone thought much about the security considerations
of allowing StartTLS to return a referral.  The is no
discussion in RFC2830 that discusses how an attacker,
by injecting a StartTLS response into the stream,
could redirect the client to a server of its choosing
(with a certificate of its choosing).

Give that many clients auto chase referrals... and
auto-verify certificates, the client might even not notice
that it re-connected to a rogue server with a verifiable
certificate.  That is, verifiable with the host name of
the rogue server name.  I don't it would make sense
operationally to require the client to verify using the
host name of the original server, but it might sense
security wise.

Same, I guess, applies to Bind operations... or
initial discovery of security features.

Anyways, food for thought.