Re: WG consensus: remove ;binary

Another implication may be that there is no obvious room for a
transfer-encoding option. If the TS defines options as always having
subtyping behavior, any special tranfer encoding mechanism would
probably be in the form of a control.

Mark Wahl wrote:
>>So with that said what is the transition plan for phasing it out of
>>current products and will it just ignor a ;binary tag on an
LDAPsearch
>>for instance.
>

> It shouldn't be phased out of products as it is required for
> interoperability, it just needs to be moved from one document (2252
revision)
> to another.  The part of the LDAP specs which defines certificate
attribute
> handling will need to define the ;binary transfer option for use with
those
> attributes.

I think we need to clarify the consequences of the LDAPbis WG's
decision
to remove ;binary. My understanding is that the PKIX WG has no plans to

use ;binary for PKI attributes, which means over time ;binary will be
entirely phased out (the main use for ;binary has been for PKI
attributes). That means we do have a transition issue that must be
addressed.

--
Mark Smith
AOL Strategic Business Solutions

---
This message was sent via Netscape Messaging Server 6.0.