RE: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ldapbis-protocol-06.txt

At 10:11 PM 2002-03-04, Ramsay, Ron wrote:
>So let's just say there are two encodings. I am not saying the ASN.1 form is
>'native', I am simply saying that, as the ASN.1 form came first, and, as you
>say below, the string encoding is based on the ASN.1, one can hardly call
>the LDAP form 'native'.

Again, you imply that ASN.1 data type is an encoding.

Both LDAP encodings (string and binary) are based on the ASN.1
data type definitions, but the string representations were
not only the first encodings of the ASN.1 data type definitions
used in LDAP but are the encodings which originated in LDAP.
The binary transfer encodings were introduced subsequently
and are based on encodings used in DAP.

So, in the dictionary sense:
   native: adj 1: being such by origin.  [WordNet]

the term makes reasonable sense.

> I would prefer a different adjective.

Such as?

Kurt