From: Kurt D. Zeilenga [mailto:Kurt@OpenLDAP.org]
Sent: Tuesday, 5 March 2002 15:11
To: Ramsay, Ron
Cc: steven.legg@adacel.com.au; ietf-ldapbis@OpenLDAP.org
Subject: RE: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ldapbis-protocol-06.txt

At 04:56 PM 2002-03-04, Ramsay, Ron wrote:
>This use of the term 'native' encoding is not good. I think we have already
>established that every syntax must have an ASN.1 encoding defined, and I
>would think that this is about as native as you can get. I can see
>difficulties with the term 'string' encoding, but I don't think 'native' is
>the way to go.

The WG consensus was use a different term. The only proposal
we have is use the term 'native'.

I note that ASN.1 provides only the data definition, not an
encoding.  LDAP currently has two possible encodings, both
defined in terms of the ASN.1 data definition.  Referring
to the "string" representation as a "native" encoding as
they were born in LDAP technical specifications for use
in LDAP.

Kurt