RE: ;binary and userCertificate (Was: Private email ...)

Title: RE: ;binary and userCertificate (Was: Private email ...)

It still hasn't been made clear how the proposed change will have a negative impact. As explained, the change will only increase interoperability.

I'll explain it again just to be clear (in point form):

- new PKIX spec defining X.509 syntaxes will define their native encoding as BER
- the native encoding would be identical to the ";binary" transfer syntax encoding (for X.509 syntaxes)
- this means ";binary" will not be mandatory to request these values
- no changes are needed to the LDAPbis specs (other than to remove any descriptions of X.509 syntaxes)
- clients that use ";binary" (for x.509 syntaxes) can continue to use this without any impact
- search add or modify involving such syntaxes can use ";binary" or not - makes no difference

So you see, it's a win-win situation. What is the downside of making this change ? It will only increase interoperability. Yes, there are examples of non-ldapv2 problems but I will not get into specifics on this list. I have in a previous email detailed many issues on this topic.

Anyway, I don't see how you can simply ignore ldapv2. How can you provide a migration path from ldapv2 to v3 if you ignore it? There are customers using ldapv2 today ... are you supposed to simply ignore that ? Many server products on the market still accept ldapv2 connections, therefore there is still a need for ldapv2.

Chris.