From: mcs@netscape.com [mailto:mcs@netscape.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 19, 2002 1:30 PM
To: David Chadwick
Cc: Christopher Oliva; Sharon Boeyen; LDAP BIS
Subject: Re: Private email re LDAP and ;binary

David Chadwick wrote:

>>The only argument for insisting on the mandatory ";binary" is the
>>possibility that the old RFC 1778 string formats will be presented in
>>a response. However, those old RFC 1778 syntaxes were updated by RFC
>>2559.
>>

> Yes, I guess you are correct. The ;binary was really a hack job to cater
> for the broken string encoding of certificates. I dont really see why we
> need to use it now, if the PKIX document states specifically what the
> LDAP transfer syntax is, we should just be able to just simply ask for
> certificates (without ;binary) and get BER back. Since BER is the only
> recognised syntax in the latest specification.

Do you care about backwards compatibility? Any change to the on-the-wire
protocol for retrieving certificates over LDAPv3 makes me nervous. The
entire installed base of LDAPv3 servers and clients uses an
AttributeDescription of userCertificate;binary, as mandated by RFC 2252.
Now you are suggesting that we change all clients and servers to use
userCertificate. What value does such a change really have? Why propose
such a change when it will very likely break some existing implementations?

-Mark Smith
  Netscape