Re: Private email re LDAP and ;binary

David Chadwick wrote:

The only argument for insisting on the mandatory ";binary" is the
possibility that the old RFC 1778 string formats will be presented in
a response. However, those old RFC 1778 syntaxes were updated by RFC
2559.

Yes, I guess you are correct. The ;binary was really a hack job to cater for the broken string encoding of certificates. I dont really see why we need to use it now, if the PKIX document states specifically what the LDAP transfer syntax is, we should just be able to just simply ask for certificates (without ;binary) and get BER back. Since BER is the only recognised syntax in the latest specification.

Do you care about backwards compatibility? Any change to the on-the-wire protocol for retrieving certificates over LDAPv3 makes me nervous. The entire installed base of LDAPv3 servers and clients uses an AttributeDescription of userCertificate;binary, as mandated by RFC 2252. Now you are suggesting that we change all clients and servers to use userCertificate. What value does such a change really have? Why propose such a change when it will very likely break some existing implementations?

-Mark Smith
 Netscape