From: Michael Ströder [mailto:michael@stroeder.com]
Sent: Wednesday, 31 October 2001 18:42
To: Ramsay, Ron
Cc: ietf-ldapbis@OpenLDAP.org
Subject: Re: Revisited: NON-ASCII chars in userPassword

"Ramsay, Ron" wrote:

> Personally, I can't see the connection between LDAP credentials and user
> logons. And what is a user logon?

I'm not sure what you mean. I'm solely talking about simple bind:
You need a bind DN and a password credential for the "logon". The
syntax of the bind DN is already well-defined in RFC2253. The syntax
of the password is not. It should be mandated to be UTF-8 encoded
ISO-10646 Unicode for clients having a chance to be interoperable.

Today e.g. Netscape Navigator sends ISO-8859-1 and MS Outlook sends
UTF-8 encoded Unicode.

> It would be interesting to see the data generated by a logon in Japan.

No problem with UTF-8 encoded Unicode.

> I say, leave it alone. It is a piece of data that a client provides to
> authenticate to a server.

Yes, that's exactly what I'm talking about. The client has to know
in advance which character set and encoding to use for passwords.

> PS Isn't 8859-1 a subset of UTF-8? (rhetorical)

Actually you're mixing character set and character encoding here...
(also rhetorical ;-)

Ciao, Michael.