Re: Revisited: NON-ASCII chars in userPassword

"Kurt D. Zeilenga" wrote:

> I believe we need to continue to support octet string passwords.
> Note that the password is not necessarily a textual string, it
> could just as well be some digitally signed data which the
> server uses to authenticate the client (see X.509).

I was just talking about credentials for simple bind. Defining the
proper charset for SASL bind is a matter of the SASL mechanism used.
E.g. it's done right in DIGEST-MD5 because there a charset can be
negotiated in the digest-challenge if I understood it correctly
while glancing over it.

> In X.500 (and LDAPv3 accordingly), the password encoding is local matter.

But did that ever worked for anything else than ASCII?
IMHO there was never ever such a "local encoding".

Ciao, Michael.