Re: Revisited: NON-ASCII chars in userPassword

I believe we need to continue to support octet string passwords.
Note that the password is not necessarily a textual string, it
could just as well be some digitally signed data which the
server uses to authenticate the client (see X.509).  In X.500
(and LDAPv3 accordingly), the password encoding is local matter.

With that said, it might be appropriate to recommend that when
the password is a textual string that ISO 10646-1 characters,
encoded using UTF-8, be used.

Kurt