RE: ModifyDN -- subtrees or not?

Hi -

At 09:41 19/09/2001 -0700, Kurt D. Zeilenga wrote:
Comments: (c.harding 56310)

At 09:10 AM 2001-09-19, Jim Sermersheim wrote:
>Due to the amount of confusion regarding this issue. I suggest that either a general and very concrete statement is made that explicitly allows a server to refuse to service any operation for any reason,

I believe that some general statement could be made in section
3.1. Protocol Model.  It should note that a request is only
a request to perform, not a mandate to perform, an operation.

>or that each operation be reworded to replace "will" language with something along the lines of "attempts to".

Yes, and not just in this particular case, but in other such cases.

I'd suggest not using the phrase "attempts to". Wording like " . . a server that honors the request MUST . . " might be better.

If "attempts to" is kept, it should be carefully and explicitly defined at the start of the document. It means something in the case of people, but doesn't mean much in the case of computer software. Its use without careful definition in 2251 is the source of the current difference of interpretation. If a general statement is made in section 3.1 then such a definition could form part of it.

Regards,

Chris
+++++

           Dr. Christopher J. Harding
  T H E    Executive Director for the Directory Interoperability Forum
 O P E N   Apex Plaza, Forbury Road, Reading RG1 1AX, UK
G R O U P  Mailto:c.harding@opengroup.org Phone:  +44 118 950 8311 x2262
           WWW: http://www.opengroup.org Mobile: +44 774 063 1520
The Open Group Conference October 2001 - featuring
ACTIVE LOSS PREVENTION - Establishing Trust and Risk Management in eBusiness
Grand Hotel Krasnapolsky, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 22-26 October 2001
http://www.opengroup.org/amsterdam2001