RE: ModifyDN -- subtrees or not?

At 09:10 AM 2001-09-19, Jim Sermersheim wrote:
>Due to the amount of confusion regarding this issue. I suggest that either a general and very concrete statement is made that explicitly allows a server to refuse to service any operation for any reason,

I believe that some general statement could be made in section
3.1. Protocol Model.  It should note that a request is only
a request to perform, not a mandate to perform, an operation.

>or that each operation be reworded to replace "will" language with something along the lines of "attempts to".

Yes, and not just in this particular case, but in other such cases.

>I suppose the first choice can be done by adding or referencing an applicability statement, but that imposes an extra level of indirection that the reader must jump through.

I would suggest that the paragraph be added to the end of Section
2 noting that this specification is a Technical Specification and
that Applicability Statements should be separately specified when
appropriate.

I also note that Section 2 likely should be an Introduction and a
more abstract (and brief) Abstract be added.