RE: objectclass matching rule

At 06:03 PM 7/25/2001, Ramsay, Ron wrote:
>Kurt,
>
>I would be interested is seeing where it is stated that an attribute with
>directory string syntax MUST have the exact value that was presented in the
>update. Do you have a reference?

Even with directory string there are likely issues due
to different charset choice and transliteration, such
when the server is an LDAPv3->LDAPv2 gateway.
My MUST assumed no transliteration was involved.  I
should have used octetString to remove transliteration
issues from entering into this.

I think the general rule, however, still holds true.
This comes from X.501, 8.1.2:
  user attribute: An attribute representing user information.

where user information is "placed in the Directory by, or on
behalf of, users; and subsequently administered by, or on
behalf of, users" (as opposed to administrative and operational
information which is "held by the Directory to meet various
administrative and operational requirements").

Kurt