From: Kurt D. Zeilenga [mailto:Kurt@OpenLDAP.org]
Sent: Thursday, 26 July 2001 4:13
To: Steve Miller
Cc: ietf-ldapbis@OpenLDAP.org
Subject: Re: objectclass matching rule

At 10:51 AM 7/25/2001, Steve Miller wrote:
>Thanks.
>
>Also, do any of the current/bis specs say whether original case MUST or
>SHOULD be preserved.

Or MAY?

If the syntax was DirectoryString, the value MUST be preserved.  But
the syntax is ObjectIdentifier which allows both descr and numericoid
forms.  While the descr form is preferred on the wire, a server
MUST be allowed to convert it to numericoid for storage (as would
be required when implementing a LDAP->DAP gateway).  When this
value is requested, the server is obligated to return a descr
form.  It obviously could chose a different descr representation
(and not just be case) of the OID than that provided upon entry
creation.

Note that this issue is not limited to OIDs.  Consider the value
of member attribute, a DN.  The server may store the DN using
XER encoding for all we know.  When returned, it may not be the
same RFC2253 string, but it is the same DN.

The general rule is that values should be preserved but that
there is no requirement to preserve the representation of that
value.  That likely needs to be stated somewhere in the data
model specification.

Kurt