Re: DN revision

Hi Kurt!

By itself the new paragraph expresses the intention at IETF#50.
However, I'm confused by section 2.4.

Here's an example:

The example attribute type is initials and the value is "KL".

The system recognizes the initials attribute.

Sending
	First paragraph of 2.4 says AttributeTypeAndValue SHOULD be:
		2.5.4.43=#04024B4C

	Second paragraph of 2.4 says representation is:
		2.5.4.43=KL

	WHICH ONE IS SENT?

Receiving
	Plus, the alternative given in the new paragraph of section 3, allows a
keyword,
	such as, the attribute type name specified in RFC 2256, to be the
AttributeType:
		initials=KL

	WOULD ALL THREE BE ACCEPTED ON RECEPTION?

Thanks,
Kathy Dally

"Kurt D. Zeilenga" wrote:

> This revision incorporates language to codify a "be liberal
> in what you accept, be strict in what you produce" requirement
> as discussed prior to and at IETF#50.  In particular, the
> following paragraph was added to Section 3 of the I-D:
>
>   Implementations MUST recognize AttributeType string type names
>   (keywords) listed in the Section 2 table, but MAY recognize other
>   names (keywords).  Implementations MAY recognize other DN string
>   representations (such as that described in RFC 1779) but SHALL only
>   generate DN strings in accordance with Section 2 of this document.
>
> Does the addition of this paragraph, specifically the first
> sentence, adequately address concerns resulting from the previous
> Section 2 clarification of "a published table" to be the table
> published in Section 2?  If no, what sort of change do you believe
> is necessary? (specific suggestions welcomed)
>
> Does the addition of this paragraph, specifically the second
> sentence, adequately address concerns resulting from the previous
> removal of the "Relationship to LDAPv2 and RFC 1779" section?
> If no, what sort of change do you believe is necessary? (specific
> suggestions welcomed)
>
> I note that at IETF#50, there was agreement to form an engineering
> team to produce recommendation(s) on how to resolve the significant
> outstanding issues with this I-D.  That's still the plan.  Your
> answers to the above questions is meant as input to this engineering
> team.
>
> Regards, Kurt
begin:vcard
n:Dally;Kathy
tel;fax:(703) 883-7142
tel;work:(703) 883-6058
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:MITRE Corp.;Network and Communications Engineering
adr:;;1820 Dolley Madison Blvd., W650;McLean;VA;22102;U.S.A.
version:2.1
email;internet:kdally@mitre.org
title:Senior Technical Staff
x-mozilla-cpt:;-31296