Re: 'dc' and 'uid' in User Schema

At 12:50 AM 4/17/01 -0400, Richard V Huber wrote:
>In principle, I agree it makes sense to pull everything into the User
>Schema I-D.  But in the specific case of dc, I wonder if it wouldn't be
>better to leave it separate, because I suspect it will need to be
>revised once the IDN WG's direction becomes clear.

I suspect it will not need to be revised.  The specification
of DC allows for any ASCII encoded domain name whether it
comes from the existing DNS, IDNa, a UTF-8 base IDN, or
whatever other IDN might be eventually look like.  It's
clear that an ASCII Compatible Encoding of International
Domain Names will be provided (though it may not be clear
which ACE will be used and where the functionality will
be provided).   I believe the wording used in RFC 2247,
Section 4 to describe 'dc' to be general enough to support
all of IDN possibilities.

However, it's clear we need to include a description of DC
within the LDAPv3 technical specification.  Because it's very
small (just a few lines), I much rather see it just incorporated
in the User Schema I-D.  Otherwise, we might as well declare
RFC 2247 as "core"... but that's not an option I would support.

Kurt