Re: LDAP URLs "loose ends" comments

At 03:34 PM 2/21/01 -0500, Mark Smith wrote:
>>   I suggest this TS not exclude a future document from
>>   specifying use of this construct.
>
>Okay, but I am not sure how to handle this.  Should we include a
>statement in the LDAP URL document that says "if <userinfo>@ is present,
>it should be ignored?"  Or "if present, the URL can't be interpreted?"
>Or ?

Well, after re-reading 2396, I believe the best thing to do is
leave the syntax alone.

We could note that future specifications may replace "hostport"
with "server" (and provide the necessary specification of "userinfo").
With this statement, a cautionary note would be needed stating that
users must not assume implementations support userinfo.

Another approach is not to mention this at all...

Either approach is fine with me.

As previously noted, it would be interesting to draft
a userinfo specification supporting TLS/SASL features
in a application protocol neutral manner.