Re: (gathering consensus) RE: Extensible Match Filters

Brent Holland wrote:

> There is also the 2254 ASN.1 typo and the 2254 ABNF changes proposed
> by Kurt Zeilenga related to extensible match to be considered:

I already made some changes to the LDAPv3 filter document (2254
update).  The new document should appear as
draft-ietf-ldapbis-filter-00.txt very soon, but here are the changes I
made related to this thread:

   "LDAP Search Filter Definition" section: made corrections to the
   LDAPv3 search filter ABNF so it matches RFC 2251.  In particular, the
   "at least one must be present" comment and the "substrings" label
   were added to the SubstringFilter initial/any/final sequence and the
   second element of the AttributeValueAssertion was changed from
   "attributeValue AttributeValue" to "assertionValue AssertionValue."

   "String Search Filter Definition" section: replaced the "value" rule
   with a new "assertionvalue" rule within the "simple" and "extensible"
   rules.  Added angle brackets around free-form prose in the "attr",
   "matchingrule", and "value" rules.  Introduced the "valueencoding"
   and associated "normal" and "escaped" rules to reduce the dependence
   on descriptive text.

I also added this loose end:

   There has been some discussion on the LDAPBIS working group
   discussion list about how to modify the LDAPv3 protocol specification
   to support use of substring filters within an extensible match
   filter, which led to further discussion about whether the definition
   of the SubstringFilter should be changed from LDAPString to
   AssertionValue.  Once that issue is resolved, this filter
   specification will likely need to be revised to accommodate the
   group's decision.

If Jim's proposal for the protocol document is accepted, then I will
replace "value" in the String Search Filter ABNF with "assertionvalue"
(in the draft I just submitted, "value" is still used for substring
filter elements).

-Mark