Re: Incomplete Syntaxes Referenced by RFC 2252

At 11:11 AM 2/16/01 +1100, Steven Legg wrote:
>Is there any consensus on what is to be done about the syntaxes referenced
>by the table in Section 4.3.2 RFC 2252, but not otherwise defined ?

There might be... but not enough to gauge the consensus (or lack thereof)
of the WG.

>Some syntaxes, like Delivery Method, have definitions in earlier LDAP RFCs,
>which can presumably be incorporated into RFC 2252bis, but for some syntaxes
>the only definitions for the string encoding I can find come from the long
>expired draft-ietf-asid-ldapv3-attributes-03.txt .

The Delivery Method syntax is defined in RFC 2256.

>Are these definitions
>going to be tidied up and used, or will the syntaxes for these definitions
>be
>revised to always be transferred as ";binary" ?

It's likely that the each syntax will have to be reviewed to
sure that the specification is complete, has multiple independently
developed interoperable implementations, and that it is otherwise
suitable for publication as part of the LDAPv3 Draft Standard.

Kurt