RE: AttributeTypeValue and binary

At 12:21 PM 1/25/01 +1100, Ramsay, Ron wrote:
>I am surprised that you refer to the binary syntax as having a defined
>string encoding. This seems to imply new meanings for both 'defined' and
>'string' and a possibly ambiguous use of 'encoding'.

RFC 2251, 4.1.6:
   The definition of string encodings for different syntaxes and types
   may be found in other documents, and in particular [5].

I am using "string encoding" as used in RFC 2251.  I note
that there is no need to mention the binary syntax within
RFC 2251 as its transfer within the protocol is no different
from any other attribute type syntax which has a defined
string encoding.  I qualify with "defined" as some syntaxes,
such as ACI Item, have no specified string encoding.