RE: When to not deref aliases

At 11:36 AM 1/24/01 -0700, Jim Sermersheim wrote:
>Regarding bind, you're right. Concensus seems to be SHOULD NOT (premature post on my part). Though I don't believe there has been as much discussion regarding compare, most of the arguments are the same. I'll tentatively amend.
>
>Regarding the use of the SHOULD NOT imperative; it would be useful to add text explaining "why not". Kurt, you  mentioned security issues, what are they--and do they apply to the compare operation? I don't like adding SHOULD NOT just because we think something is wrong but we don't want to break existing implementations.

Without the statement the specification can be interpreted multiple
ways, this leads to interoperability problems.  The SHOULD NOT
clarifies what the intended behavior is while not disallowing
implementations which have implemented some other behavior.

I do not believe it necessary to state in the actual specification
why a particular imperative exists is general.  Of course, key
interoperability issues and security considerations should be
discussed within the specification.

The primary security issues related to aliases and authentication,
authorization, and access control is related to use of alternative
names and under specification of semantics (especially in error
cases).

I actually believe X.511 nor LDAP did not intend aliases to be
dereferenced during bind operations.  I view this as a specification
error which should be corrected in both X.511 and LDAP.

Kurt