Re: LDAPbis Acknowledgement Policy

"Kurt D. Zeilenga" wrote:

> To ensure WG documents appropriately and consistently
> give credit to WG document editors and authors, prior work
> document editors and authors, and individuals providing
> other significant contributions to WG documents, an
> acknowledge policy should be adopted.  The following
> policy statement is offered by this co-chair:
>
>   Each WG I-D shall list in the header the name and
>   organization of the document editor and author(s)
>   of the WG (revision) document.  An author is an
>   individual who has made a direct major contribution
>   to the WG (revision) document.

I assume it is up to the document editor to determine what constitutes a
"major contribution."  For example, technical review of changes by an
expert could be viewed as a major contribution.

Also, I think it would be useful to ask editors to put the word "Editor"
after their name in the header, e.g.,

     Kurt D. Zeilenga, Editor
     Joe Smith
     Babs Jensen

>   The document editor and author(s) of prior work(s)
>   shall be credited in an Acknowledgement section.

Unless they are already listed in the new document in the header, etc.

>   Other significant contributors to the (revision)
>   document may be credited in the Acknowledgement
>   section.  Such credit should be in a separate
>   paragraph from prior work(s) acknowledgements.
>
>   A request from a named individual to be credited
>   in the Acknowledgement section instead of the header
>   or not to be credited shall be honored.
>
> This statement is based upon past LDAP revision/update
> acknowledge practices and is believed to be consistent
> with IETF policy and tradition.
>
> The WG chairs plan to make a decision on an acknowledgement
> policy within the next few weeks and solicits WG comments
> on this action.  Please send your comments to this list
> or to the WG chairs by 10 January 2001.

Looks like I am one day late ;-)

--
Mark Smith
Directory Product Development / Netscape