Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ldapbis-protocol-00.txt

This (draft in the subject line) will be the official first cut of the protocol draft. It differs from the "other" first cut (http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-sermersheim-ldapbis-rfc2251-00.txt) in that it only has a minimal and very safe set of changes. Those changes are illustrated in Appendix B and repeated here:

B.1 Editorial
   - Bibliography References: Changed all bibliography references to
     use a long name form for readability.
   - Changed occurrences of "unsupportedCriticalExtension" to
     "unavailableCriticalExtension"
   - Fixed a small number of misspellings (mostly dropped letters).

B.2 Section 1
   - Removed IESG note.

B.3 Section 9
   - Added references to RFCs 1823, 2234, 2829 and 2830.

I pulled the previous changes out due to unease at their inclusion felt at the San Diego meeting. Please voice your opinion if you feel any of this is unacceptable.

Going forward, I will post a handful of issues to the list to gain consensus before applying them to the draft. I'll try to keep it down to 3 or 4 outstanding issues at a time. I plan on resubmitting the draft periodically as changes are made so everyone can track the process in a more incremental way.

The current set of outstanding issues is listed in Appendix C. This is not a complete list, just a merge of the old Appendix C and all the pulled changes from my last attempt. If you have some time to kill, you can start forming your opinions today on issues to be talked about tomorrow, but I'd like to keep the number of issues being discussed at one time low.

Thanks.

Jim