Re: anonymous binds

There may be applications where certian identities are allowed to bind without a password (unatuhenticated bind) and access or modify certain elements of the DIT (perhaps only on their own object), along with this, the server may allow only one connection using that identity to happen at a time (no worky in a distributed environment).

If we maintain that there is such a thing as an anonymous bind, and there is also such a thing as an unauthenticated bind, but that the semantics of each are implementation specific (as I believe the is case today), will it cause problems? If we could spin it in such a way that a server decides how similar or dissimilar the two binds are, could we keep the two notions around? I'd simply like to preserve the original intentions while clarifying, without breaking implementations.

Jim

>>> Mark C Smith <mcs@netscape.com> 11/15/00 1:45:33 PM >>>
I am not convinced that there is any real difference between an
"unauthenticated bind" and an "anonymous bind."  Certainly in terms of
access control and so on, they are likely equivalent.

Can someone provide a useful definition?

-Mark Smith
  Netscape