Re: LDAPv3: All Operational Attributes proposal

At 06:57 AM 10/31/00 -0500, hahnt@us.ibm.com wrote:
>However, the ability to do this seems useful and the I-D for updating RFC 2251 is available.For convenience, I would support the inclusion of this into the I-D targeted to update RFC 2251.

>This brings up a good question, though.  How would a client determine whether or not a server supported this nomenclature?

By requesting just "+" and seeing if any operational attributes are
returned.  This works best against the Root DSE.

>Does this imply an additional value in the rootDSE under "supportedLDAPversion"?

No.  I don't believe an LDAPv2 implementation which supports "*"
to be non-compliant with RFC 1777.  Likewise with "+" and LDAPv3
(and LDAPv2).

>Will an update to the rootDSE be required anyway so that incompatible "clarifications/updates" can be provided in an upward compatible manner to existing server implementations?

I hope that no such update will be necessary.  I hope the Draft
Standard will be within the wiggle allowed by the Proposed
Standard.