Re: RFC 2255bis

From:           	"Kurt D. Zeilenga" <Kurt@OpenLDAP.org>

> However, the question for LDAPbis to answer is not:
>   what changes to LDAPv3 would be generally useful?
> but:
>   what changes are required to progress the LDAPv3 to Draft Standard?

I dont think things like size limits and time limits should be returned
in referrals for two reasons:
i) was given by Kurt above, the other is
ii) a client actually sets these values the first time around and is
therefore capable of setting them again on subsequent requests.
The only reason a server could have for returning these values, is
that the server wants to inform the client about some internal limits
(for example admin limits) that may differ from the client specified
ones. But given this is a referral to another server, how is the
referring server to know what these are? I therefore do not see a
case for adding parameters such as size and time limits to referrals.

David

> Kurt

David Chadwick
IS Institute, University of Salford, Salford M5 4WT
Tel +44 161 295 5351  Fax +44 161 745 8169
Mobile +44 790 167 0359
Email D.W.Chadwick@salford.ac.uk
Home Page  http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/chadwick.htm
Understanding X.500  http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/X500.htm
X.500/LDAP Seminars http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/seminars.htm
Entrust key validation string MLJ9-DU5T-HV8J