Re: What can you do to the ASN.1 wo getting into trouble with the IESG?

At 12:10 30/08/2000 -0700, Kurt D. Zeilenga wrote:
There are varying opinions on how much ASN.1 change may occur,
if any, before the version should be changed.  RFC 2251 provides
one opinion:
   Note that unlike X.500, each change to the LDAP protocol other than
   through the extension mechanisms will have a different version
   number

If taken literally, the specification has to be taken "as is"
(excepting maybe clarification) to Draft Standard and, eventually,
Standard.  I am more of the opinion that limited changes can be
made without revving the version number.  Basically, I believe we
can fix what is broken as long as we don't break what works.  The
appropriate "fix" may be removal of the broken feature.

I agree with this sentiment as stated. Warning:

Removal of broken features is easy in the Proposed->Draft transition.
Fixing them is harder, but possible.
Adding new features to work around or replace broken features MUST be done using the extension mechanism (and documented outside the core RFCs) unless it is really, really necessary to do otherwise.

            Harald

--
Harald Tveit Alvestrand, alvestrand@cisco.com
+47 41 44 29 94