What can you do to the ASN.1 wo getting into trouble with the IESG?

I have often wondered about why there are so many apparently equivalent
versions of AttributeTypeAndValues and derivatives thereof:

	AddRequest ::= [APPLICATION 8] SEQUENCE {
                entry           LDAPDN,
                attributes      AttributeList }

        AttributeList ::= SEQUENCE OF SEQUENCE {
                type    AttributeDescription,
                vals    SET OF AttributeValue }

also here:

	SearchResultEntry ::= [APPLICATION 4] SEQUENCE {
                objectName      LDAPDN,
                attributes      PartialAttributeList }

        PartialAttributeList ::= SEQUENCE OF SEQUENCE {
                type    AttributeDescription,
                vals    SET OF AttributeValue }

Is there a good reason for this? If not can we "clean it up" to read

	AddRequest ::= [APPLICATION 8] SEQUENCE {
                entry           LDAPDN,
                attributes      AttributeList }

	AttributeList ::= SEQUENCE OF AttributeTypeAndValues

and

	SearchResultEntry ::= [APPLICATION 4] SEQUENCE {
                objectName      LDAPDN,
                attributes      AttributeList }

without revving the version? Note that this would not affect the bits
on the wire!

	Cheers Leif