Re: Advice for distributing schemas for OpenLDAP

On 07/30/2012 03:40 PM, Howard Chu wrote:
> You could just convert them manually, as documented in the openldap.ldif file.

> Yes. As the Admin Guide and slapd-config(5) manpage already state, prefixes
> are generated automatically. You should not set them yourself on newly added data.

Thanks, that's helpful.

> Put the additions into a new schema file/object. It's against standard
> practices to modify published schema.

So once an object class is defined in a published schema, it should
never be extended with new optional attributes?  I could put the new
attribute definitions in a different entry, but that wouldn't permit my
existing object classes to use the new attributes.