Aw: Re: Special characters in distinguished name

Hello Michael,

Von:     Michael Ströder <michael@stroeder.com>
> chris_news@arcor.de wrote:
> > are special characters, especially German umlauts, acceptable in the
> > distinguished name?
>
> If the attribute type used to form the DN component is of DirectoryString
> syntax there's no problem. Note that DirectoryString means UTF-8 encoded
> Unicode chars.

yes. The DN is composed of the common name and domain components.
The umlauts are part of the common name.

> > I've accidentally discovered that CPAN's Net::LDAP::Entry module doesn't
> > support them (in the distinguished name). Other attributes are escaped
> > correctly.
>
> What exactly leads you to this conclusion?

I setup the DN with $entry->dn($dn); and generated with write_entry an
LDIF-file. The DN wasn't base 64 encoded. I could encode it myself, but
then the second colon is still missing. So I probably won't use this library.

- Chris