Re: (ITS#6666) Feature Request: Triggers implementation

Op zondag 22 mei 2011 13:34:14 schreef Nick Milas:
> On 8/10/2010 6:16 ÎÎ, Buchan Milne wrote:
> > On Thursday, 7 October 2010 20:32:49 Nick Milas wrote:
> >> It all started for me when I wanted to watch a serial number value from
> >> an ldap-stored SOArecord (using powerdns with openldap backend) and when
> >> it changes to fire a bash script. I reached the conclusion it was not
> >> easy to be done with higher-level means within openldap and I created a
> >> bash script which scans (using ldapsearch and other linux tools) the
> >> SOArecords regularly (using cron) to find out if any change has happend
> >> and do whatever is required. It would be much more elegant if I could
> >> get a trigger from openldap when the SOArecord changes.
> >
> > Maybe you need this:
> >
> > http://memberwebs.com/stef/software/slapi-dnsnotify/
> >
> > A more generic solution would be nice, but as far as I can tell, this
> > software satisfies your current need.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Buchan
>
> After more than seven months (when I started this thread), and having
> tried slapi-dnsnotify in the meantime, please allow me to request if any
> progress would by any chance be expected any time soon re. the
> preparation of a draft for LDAP Triggers (, stored procedures and
> views), and its implementation in OpenLDAP.
>
> It is interesting that, although the reaction since the 1st
> International Conference on LDAP in Cologne (Sep. 2007) and even earlier
> towards the idea of adding triggers, views, and stored procedures to
> LDAP (starting perhaps from X.500) along with the proper tooling was
> very positive, no serious progress seems to have been made to
> standardize these important constructs in the LDAP framework at least as
> an initial draft which would serve as a feasible starting point. Maybe
> we can hope to something more mature to have been prepared for LDAPCon
> 2011? Is there any active work inside the OpenLDAP project and across
> the LDAP industry to that end?
>
> By the way, the problem with slapi-dnsnotify is that, although it works
> as documented with OpenLDAP (which is great), it doesn't offer a degree
> of flexibility: it sends notify to all NS of the zone (even to itself!);
> but, what if we want to send notify to other servers too (e.g. hidden
> slaves) and we do not want to send notify messages to some of the NS of
> the zone (because replication is done at the backend level)?
>
> Thanks,
> Nick

this may be totally besides the point or request, but i've made a very simple
modtrigger overlay, which triggers modifications and calls an external command.

I should make it cn=config ready, but it works, is fully tested, and i'm using
it in a production environment...

Kind regards,

Maarten