joomla ldap; joomla users not created

Joomla 1.5, fully updated.
php does have ldap installed and working
Openldap 2.3.43-12.el5_5.3 running on fully updated centos server dedicated to this.

On the openldap server, I have;

Server	Local LDAP Server timeout

(Schema | search | refresh | info | import | export | logout )
Logged in as: cn=admin,dc=mydomain,dc=com
-	img	dc=mydomain,dc=com (2)
	-	img	cn=admin
		new	Create new entry here
	-	img	ou=users (2)
		+	img	uid=bob
		+	img	uid=bobby
		new	Create new entry here
	new	Create new entry here

I have Distinguished Name: ou=users,dc=mydomain,dc=com
I followed docs which showed me how to create add and use a joomla.schema.

The above is where joomla users are supposed to be being created. What I suspect is that joomla isn't talking to the proper joomla.schema on the ldap server which is preventing the user from being created.
But since I'm new to ldap, I've not been able to figure out how to diagnose this and fix the problem.

I've been struggling with this for weeks and would very much welcome some help.

Thanks.