Re: Advice/comments on deploying openLDAP in a VirtualBox

> Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 16:59:30 -0400
> From: Adam Tauno Williams <awilliam@opengroupware.us>
> Subject: Re: Advice/comments on deploying openLDAP in a VirtualBox
>        appliance.
> To: openldap-technical@openldap.org
>
> On Wed, 2009-09-23 at 00:23 +0530, Arun Khan wrote:
>> I have completed the prototyping of openldap, samba/pdc,  on a
>> VirtualBox appliance.   The setup works fine with 4-5 different
>> desktop clients connecting to
>> the services.
>> Appliance details: VirtualBox 3.0.6 - 512MB RAM, 8MB Video RAM, 9GB
>> VDI with 1GB Swap and  CentOS 5.3 64bit).
>> I am considering deploying this appliance into production with 1GB
>> RAM.  The no. of clients connecting to the server will be approx. 150.
>> Has anyone deployed openLDAP + Samba/PDC in a VirtualBox appliance?
>
> I don't know anything about Virtual Box but I operate an OpenLDAP +
> Samba/PDC for 300+ used on an ESX VM with roughly the allocated
> resources you specify [although I have no idea about "Video RAM" or
> "VDI"].  I imagine the performance of the underlying host may matter
> more than your specific allocations so long as process fit into the
> allocated memory.

Much thanks  for sharing your experience and validating the deployment
openLDAP+Samba/PDC in a virtual environment.

The VirtualBox VideoRam is applicable only for graphical display and
VDI == VirtualDiskImage (it is the file that contains the VM).

-- Arun Khan