TLS certificates

Hello, I'm trying to get TLS setup with openldap and am having some
issues.  I have a CA signed certificate (not self-signed) and have
created a chain with my CA cert and the root CA cert.  I've verified
that it works with openssl verify -CAfile on both the client and
server but then when I try to connect using ldaps I get the following
error on the client:

TLS certificate verification: depth: 2, err: 19, subject:
/C=SE/O=AddTrust AB/OU=AddTrust External TTP Network/CN=AddTrust
External CA Root, issuer: /C=SE/O=AddTrust AB/OU=AddTrust External TTP
Network/CN=AddTrust External CA Root
TLS certificate verification: Error, self signed certificate in
certificate chain
TLS trace: SSL3 alert write:fatal:unknown CA
TLS trace: SSL_connect:error in SSLv3 read server certificate B
TLS trace: SSL_connect:error in SSLv3 read server certificate B
TLS: can't connect.

I assume it's saying that the root CA is self signed, but if I don't
include it in the chain it says it can't trust the CA.

Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks,
Matt Edlefsen
Earlham Computing Services