Re: Troubleshooting synchronization

Edward Capriolo <edlinuxguru@gmail.com> writes:

> On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 5:25 AM, Torsten Schlabach (Tascel eG)
> <tschlabach@tascel.net> wrote:
[...]
>>>The answer is quite simple: do not use multimaster replication in a
>>>production environment. In most cases the requirement for multimaster
>>>replication is just based on poor directory design.
>
> Dieter, I do not agree with that. You can't blame a user for using a
> feature. It is not marked as experimental anymore so people are going
> to use it. Once it fails you can't call them a "Poor Directory
> Designer" for using it.
>
> http://www.openldap.org/faq/data/cache/1240.html

I am not blaming any user who has to implement multimaster
replication, at least this has not been my intention. If you want to
set up a partitioned or replicated directory you have to take a lot of
requirements into consideration, only to think about the number of
connections in a multimaster environment, (n *(n-1)).
Just name a network topology or a directory design requirement that is
dependend on multimaster replication. I personally know only of one
directory where multimaster with 10 providers had to be
implemented. On the other hand I do know of directories with up to 150
consumers connecting to one provider.

-Dieter

--
Dieter Klünter | Systemberatung