Re: A better way for getting an ITS fix

Maykel Moya wrote:
Just bitten by ITS#5794. As you could imagine I need to patch my server
ASAP. That's what I did:

1. In the ITS page I see a message from hyc ack'ing the bug fix.
2. Have to dig openldap-commit message by message trying to hit days
near hyc'message date
3. Got
http://www.openldap.org/lists/openldap-commit/200811/msg00035.html
saying passwd.c went from 1.141 to 1.142
and
http://www.openldap.org/lists/openldap-commit/200811/msg00036.html
saying passwd.c went from 1.142 to 1.143
4. Go to CVS web ui and request unidiff for passwd.c from 1.141 to
1.143.
http://www.openldap.org/devel/cvsweb.cgi/servers/slapd/passwd.c.diff?hideattic=1&r1=text&tr1=1.41&r2=text&tr2=1.143&f=u

Questions: - Is there a way to have information that links 1 and 2 so I don't have to dig openldap-commit archive?

At one time I suggested that commit messages with ITS#s in their logs should be automatically forwarded to the ITS, but others felt this would generate too much noise in the ITS. Personally I believe it would be better to have bug reports and their corresponding fixes tightly linked, but no one else seems to feel strongly about it. So for now, searching the commit archive is the only choice.

- In case a fix spans several files how should I proceed?

All patches related to a single issue will have the ITS# in their commit message. Most patches that affect multiple files in a single directory will have a single commit message, though occasionally it will be spread across multiple commits. Patches that span multiple directories, committed all at once, will have identical commit messages in each directory.

--
  -- Howard Chu