Re: Real alternatives to BDB?

--On February 27, 2008 5:42:05 PM +0100 Marten Lehmann <lehmann@cnm.de> wrote:

Hello,

we are currently running openldap 2.2.13 with a bdb-4.2.52 backend as it
comes with RHEL4. We have about 50.000 cn's each having about 5-10
attributes with a length of no longer than 100 characters. So our dataset
is not very big.

BDB is extremely stable. The release you are using is not. And I'm guessing you are using the RH build of OpenLDAP and BDB, which is even worse. I've run large installations of OpenLDAP with BDB, and found it to be rock solid. But you need to do due diligence, and actually keep up with modern releases. Unfortunately, OpenLDAP 2.2.13 was a very bad release. There's also several required patches to BDB 4.2.52 that need to be applied. If you don't have them, you definitely will hit issues, and by running a release years out of date with several severe known bugs, you're just asking for trouble. I highly advise making sure you are running *current* software with all relevant patches, and then if you have issues, come ask.

--Quanah

--

Quanah Gibson-Mount
Principal Software Engineer