Re: Upgrade to 2.3.40 -> failed index

Paul B. Henson wrote:
On Mon, 4 Feb 2008, Howard Chu wrote:

This basically says that somebody zeroed out/removed the transaction log
files.

Nothing ever touches the transaction log files in our configuration. I have "set_flags DB_LOG_AUTOREMOVE" in the DB_CONFIG file. Transaction logs are automatically pruned as necessary by bdb itself. We do backups via slapcat.

Possibly a bug in bdb? It's strange that it happened simultaneously on
three different servers. However, the actual database files were created on
one server and then copied to the others; and presumably they all executed
the same changes afterwards. It does seem oddly coincidental that after
almost a year of successful operation the first mass deletion after the
upgrade caused a problem.

You cannot copy the database files from one machine to another unless you're extremely careful and follow the procedures outlined in the BerkeleyDB documentation. It sounds like you didn't follow those procedures. Your problem isn't coincidental, it's inevitable when you don't RTFM.

--
  -- Howard Chu