Client application connection pool and OpenLDAP

Hi!

I have a Java application (that works with Novell JLDAP) as a client to OpenLDAP. This application
use a connection pool in which 5 connections are open when it is started and maintain
until the application is stopped. That means, the application send search, compare, update command to OpenLDAP through each of the 5 connections without closing the
connections between each command that is sent to OpenLDAP.

Does OpenLDAP support application that use a connection pool ? In other words, does OpenLDAP
release its memory after each command (search, ADD, ...) that is executed or it release
its memory after the client application close the socket ?

I'm asking this question because memory used by OpenLDAP keep growing
until it exceed the capacity of Linux.

I use RHEL v.4 with OpenLDAP v.2.2.13

Someone told me, I should not have any memory leak with this version and probably that OpenLDAP
release its memory only when the socket with the client application is closed. he also said that I should not use a connection pool to send ldap command to OpenLDAP. Do you agree with that ?

thanks for your help

Sylvain