Re: Redirect bind requests to another server

<quote who="Simon Maier">

> Hi,
>
> I have a question about a special LDAP setup, we want to implement at
> the university computing centre. The story as it's intended to be:
>
> We're running a groupware application (openxchange), which uses a LDAP
> server (openldap 2.2.23 on Suse 9.3) to authenticate its users (mainly
> members of the computing centre) and to store contacts, group
> memberships of the users and some of the user settings. This server
> runs on the same machine as the groupware itself.
>
> There is another LDAP server (i don't know the version used there), that
> holds the centralized password and account name of all users at the
> university for various authentication purposes. This server only
> accepts bind requests.
>
> The goal is to authenticate the users against the central LDAP server
> but to store the settings etc. on the local server. There is one
> additional problem, the naming contexts on the servers do not match
> each other. To give you a basic idea I reproduced this with "generic"
> names:
>
> central: cn=user.account,ou=peopl,o=my organisation,c=acountry
> local:uid=user.account,ou=Users,ou=OxObjects,dc=my,dc=groupware,dc=server,dc=acountry
>
> Is there a way to accomplish this?

See:

slapo-rwm - rewrite/remap overlay
slapd-ldap - LDAP backend to slapd

man slapo-rwm
man slapd-ldap

slapo-rwm can be used to rewrite/map the naming contexts, and slapd-ldap
can be used to authenticate local users to the remote Directory.

> If this is a RTFM question, please excuse me asking, but I'm not very
> familiar with openldap
>
> By the way, we're planing to upgrade the server to a later version of
> the operating system, so answers for openldap 2.3.27 would be helpful
> too.

Best get the latest versions. Grab Buchans RPMs from:

http://anorien.csc.warwick.ac.uk/mirrors/buchan/openldap/SRPMS/

--
Kind Regards,

Gavin Henry.