Re: LDAP/BDB log purging

Jeff Saxton wrote, on 10. mar 2007 08:18:

[...]

Do try *not* to use source-compiled db4 (in your case 4.5.20) on
RHAS/RHEL, as it installs to non-standard (non-FHS) directories and will
get you into all kinds of a mess later. As a pointer, try never to
install non-rpm software on RHAS/RHEL, this after 4-5 years as Red Hat
administrator and having done it all myself, earlier ;)

Wow! I've only been a sysadmin for > 205yrs and using RedHat since 6.2 and I never have trouble compiling from source.

It's not compiling from source that's the problem, its stuffing libs and includes/headers into different directories from other similar on the *Red Hat RHEL/RHAS* system. Further, it's ok compiling and installing from source on one machine, but as soon as one has to install on multiple systems of the same type, you are costing whoever it is that's paying you far too much and involving yourself in a lot of unnecessary hassle.

>  If you need help meby I could give you a couple of pointers ;)

From a sysadmin who's been dead for more than 100 years and couldn't spell when he was alive?

Installing from packages where details of all packages are kept in a database gives gives many huge advantages, this is recognized by most, if not all, major OS vendors. I, too, was once too lazy (or ignorant) to learn to build my own program packages where I couldn't beg, borrow or steal others'. Well, now I can.

--Tonni

--
Tony Earnshaw
Email: tonni at hetnet dot nl