Errors for specific ldapsearch uses / search filters

Hi there.

I'm using openldap tools for my client and connect to a proprietary LDAP
server. I'm not entirely sure on which side my problem is caused, I just
don't understand the ldapsearch error messages/behaviour. If that's OT
here: Sorry for that - don't read on.

An external company provides me access to their LDAP server. Basically
I'm just planning to do lots of "does this entry exist" lookups.

The tree is quite simple, like this:

- c=Country
-- o=Company
--- customClass=<I'm looking for one of those>
---- subClass=whatever

Some operations/results:

ldapsearch -H ldap://127.0.0.1 -D "myuser" -x -w mypassword -b
"o=company,c=Country"

The result is a list of all results of class "customClass". Fine so far.

--

ldapsearch -H ldap://127.0.0.1 -D "myuser" -x -w mypassword -b
"o=company,c=Country" "(objectClass=customClass)"

fails with
# search result
search: 2
result: 1 Operations error

--

ldapsearch -H ldap://127.0.0.1 -D "myuser" -x -w mypassword -b
"o=company,c=Country" "(objectClassKey=someValue)"

just hangs. Debug output shows, that it stalls after
ldap_chkResponseList for msgid=-1, all=0
ldap_chkResponseList returns NULL
ldap_int_select

--

ldapsearch -H ldap://127.0.0.1 -D "myuser" -x -w mypassword -b
"objectClassKey=someValue, o=company,c=Country"

works fine. That is, the above retrieves the single entry that matches
this searchbase.

Now I'm lost. Am I just too dumb to specify a basic ldap filter? Can
anyone see a problem with my usage or the reported behaviour?
Any hints how I can go on and solve this problem?

Thanks in advance,
Ben