Re: 2.3.19 and memory usage

--On Thursday, February 09, 2006 11:25 AM -0500 matthew sporleder <msporleder@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've reproduced this behavior, it's due to the same reason as ITS#4385.
> Now fixed in HEAD back-bdb/cache.c. A potential workaround is to issue
> a few no-op requests to the slapd server while the large search
> operation is in progress. (Basically the task that purges excess
> entries from the entry cache isn't getting started right away; it
> won't start until the current search finishes or any new request is
> received.) You can use this patch:

Is this 32bit linux specific, or will it affect all larger databases? The patch looks very simple, but I was just wondering about the impact.

It is not 32 bit linux specific. However, as noted above by Howard, it only is going to affect a system that has a single search occurring on it. I.e., if your LDAP server is a busy one, then you won't notice this behavior. As soon as a second operation (search, bind, mod, add, etc) is received, then the task that purges excess entries kicks in. Which is likely why no one noticed this previously.

--Quanah

--
Quanah Gibson-Mount
Principal Software Developer