2.3.19 and memory usage

I have been testing OpenLDAP 2.3.19 to finally move from 2.2.26 on my
production environment and have run into some issues with memory use.
Basically, the settings I use for 2.2.26 do not translate to 2.3.19 (all
tests were done on the same machine).  On my test, where I dump approximately
500k entries by uid, 2.3.19 uses all available system memory and then
segfaults.  2.2.26 returns all entries without incident.  Tweaking the BDB
cachesize and the entry cachesize appear to have some effect, but the end
results are similar.

My observations are posted below.

##########
Machine RAM: 2G
Linux Kernel: 2.4.30
BDB Version: 4.2.52 (plus patches from Sleepycat)
OpenLDAP Version: 2.3.19
Database: bdb
Total Entries: 1212330
Entries Matching Test Query: 491518
Query: search for (uid=*) returning only DN

BDB Cachesize: 2G
Cachesize: 100000
Entries Returned Before SIGSEGV: 165281

BDB Cachesize: 1G
Cachesize: 100000
Entries Returned Before SIGSEGV: 403052

BDB Cachesize: 1G
Cachesize: 100
Entries Returned Before SIGSEGV: 359981

BDB Cachesize: 12M
Cachesize: 100000
Entries Returned Before SIGSEGV: 491518 returned, but second query hangs
indefinitely with no entries returned.  Have observed malloc errors in the
slapd logs after leaving this for extended periods of time.

## 2.2.26 ##
OpenLDAP 2.2.26
BDB Cachesize: 2G
Cachesize: 100000
Entries Returned: 491518 (using ~1.9G of RAM), subsequent queries do not
affect memory usage

With these settings, is this type of memory usage expected for 2.3.19.  Has
anyone else seen similar results?

Thanks,

dave