sql-backend - ldapadd fails

Some time ago someone posted about a problem with the SQL back-end
connecting to a MySQL database. In my case I
'm using unixODBC 2.2.11 and MySQL 5.0.15 against openldap-2.3.11, and I'm
getting the same problem I saw listed here some months ago.

ldapadd -x -h 192.168.0.3 -D "cn=Manager,dc=example,dc=com" -wsecret -f
example.ldif3
adding new entry "cn=Dan Pinkard,dc=example,dc=com"ldap_add: Server is
unwilling to perform (53)
        additional info: operation not permitted within namingContext

I know that the ODBC and SQL pieces are functioning, as it can read
successfully when I execute ldapsearch -x -h 192.168.0.3 -b
'dc=example,dc=com' '(objectclass=*)', however I do not even get a
connection to the MySQL database when I attempt the ldap add.

It was suggested on this list that only the write was failing, however it
looks like it's a wee bit more complex than that.

Any hints or directions are appreciated. I'll continue searching for other
information, but nothing seems relevant just yet, and I think I'm running
the latest of everything.

Thanks!