Re: sql-backend - ldapadd fails

On Mon, 2005-11-28 at 12:03 -0800, dpinkard@AccessLine.com wrote:
> Some time ago someone posted about a problem with the SQL back-end
> connecting to a MySQL database. In my case I
> 'm using unixODBC 2.2.11 and MySQL 5.0.15 against openldap-2.3.11, and I'm
> getting the same problem I saw listed here some months ago.
>
> ldapadd -x -h 192.168.0.3 -D "cn=Manager,dc=example,dc=com" -wsecret -f
> example.ldif3
> adding new entry "cn=Dan Pinkard,dc=example,dc=com"ldap_add: Server is
> unwilling to perform (53)
>         additional info: operation not permitted within namingContext

To say anything more about that we need to know more, because back-sql
is far from something that just works out of the box.  In detail, I need
to know about your slapd.conf and your settings in ldap_oc_mappings and
ldap_attr_mappings tables; a schematic of your ldap_entries would help
as well.

> I know that the ODBC and SQL pieces are functioning, as it can read
> successfully when I execute ldapsearch -x -h 192.168.0.3 -b
> 'dc=example,dc=com' '(objectclass=*)', however I do not even get a
> connection to the MySQL database when I attempt the ldap add.

sounds like back-sql doesn't let you there because it knows in advance
it has no clues about how to write to the RDBMS; should be a mapping
problem, but I'm just guessing.

I'd note that back-sql write routines return that error code and that
very message in many, many places; each of those places, however,
produces a very specific log message (at "trace" level).  If you look at
the server logs at "trace" level you'll quickly discover if and what is
missing from your configuration/metadata.

p.

Ing. Pierangelo Masarati
Responsabile Open Solution

SysNet s.n.c.