Re[2]: openldap-server-2.2.29: multimaster support

Hello John,

>> Does the FAQ entry about multi-master replication* need to be updated?
>> What about the draft "LDAP Multi-master Replication Considered Harmful"?
>>
>> In fact I'd like to know if multi-master replication with syncrepl can be
>> considered as sure or if it is harmful too.

> I only use sycnrepl to achieve high availability (by combining with heartbeat), I
> haven't tested it as a true multi-master environment.  It just seems likely to me
> that it might work, but I don't have the time personally to mess with it.  Please
> do feel free to try it out. :)  Personally, I agree with Zeilenga's draft.

> I can't think of a situation in which multi-master replication would actually make
> any sense anyway.  (The closest scenario I can think of is a load-balanced
> configuration, but even then, you can't rely on each side of the cluster to be up
> to date at any given point in time since replication is asynchronous.)

I have situation:

Two offices are connected by low-speed channel. On both offices I have
users, that want change their password without my assistance (by
Samba, for example).

If I'll setup Samba from office with slave use master LDAP server,
speed will be slow...

--
Best regards,
 Sergey                            mailto:ksa@uaic.net