Re: "return unknown attrs" control

Hallvard B Furuseth wrote:

Pierangelo Masarati writes:

Juan Carlos Sanchez Recio wrote:

[root@kurling openldap]# ldapsearch -x -b '' -s base '(objectclass=*)'
namingContext

Try "namingContexts" (note the trailing "s").

It might be useful to have a control which asks an operation to return a
control with a list of any unknown attributes referenced by the request.
Or more generally unknown values for anything with OID syntax. Could be
turned on by default in some or all of the LDAP tools.

The idea looks interesting; I don't see how most of the users would benefit from it, except those that use the latest version of the tools. I do not quite agree on having such control enabled by default on openldap client (maybe non-critical?) because it would require them to use LDAPv3 by default and could cause other incompatibility issues with third-party DSAs; even if we provide a switch to disable it, I'd rather stick with the rest of the controls, that must be explicitly requested.

On a somewhat related topic, I've just added logs when "undefined" or the newly deined "proxied" (ITS#3959) attributes are mapped into the schema. By now, the log is at ANY level, but maybe a more appropriate (set of) level(s) should be used.

p.