Re: "return unknown attrs" control

Pierangelo Masarati writes:
>Hallvard B Furuseth wrote:
>> It might be useful to have a control which asks an operation to return a
>> control with a list of any unknown attributes referenced by the request.
>> Or more generally unknown values for anything with OID syntax.  Could be
>> turned on by default in some or all of the LDAP tools.
>
> The idea looks interesting; I don't see how most of the users would
> benefit from it, except those that use the latest version of the tools.

Eh?  The latest version will then proceed to not be the latest anymore.
And most software distros do get upgraded sooner or later.

> I do not quite agree on having such control enabled by default on
> openldap client (maybe non-critical?) because it would require them to
> use LDAPv3 by default and could cause other incompatibility issues with
> third-party DSAs; even if we provide a switch to disable it, I'd rather
> stick with the rest of the controls, that must be explicitly requested.

Right, it should not be default for LDAPv2 (or v1:-)

Definitely non-critical.  Then it should be no problem if third-party
DSAs do not support it, though I must admit I don't know if real-life
implementations live up to that.

If it's not made the default, I wouldn't bother.  It's people who would
rarely fiddle with LDAP controls who would have most use for it.

--
Hallvard